Saturday 21 December 2019

An Unexpected Christmas Gift - 12/27/2005


Tuesday, December 27, 2005
An Unexpected Christmas Gift
Well, Christmas is behind us and we're looking forward to the end of this year and the beginning 2006. You know, that time of the year when we gorge ourselves with football and holiday meals, make unattainable resolutions and are disappointed when we fall short of keeping them.

My Christmas was terrific, and involved lots of shared love with family and friends. Parties were hosted, cookies exchanged, neighbors re-introduced and the spirit of the season spread far and wide. There were even some gifts exchanged, which brought smiles to many faces.

The biggest surprise I received on Christmas Day, though, was the publication in the Daily Pilot of yet another masterful commentary by my muse, Byron de Arakal. Some may know that it was a piece penned by de Arakal when he was an influential and highly paid columnist for the Daily Pilot a few years ago that provoked me to write my very first letter to the editor. That letter was published by the Daily Pilot editors, so I just kept writing. The editors spoiled me by publishing most of what I sent them, sometimes once a week for many months. Over the intervening years I've teased de Arakal for his part in this folly, accusing him of creating a monster. There are more than a few in our community that would agree with that description.

Byron de Arakal left his "big bucks" role as columnist for awhile, then returned to share the Watchdog banner with another author from Newport Beach - de Arakal typically covers Costa Mesa items. He's not lost a step, though, as witnessed by his commentary Sunday.

In that commentary, the theme of which was his first annual "Costa Mesa Watchdog Awards", he skewered our young jailer/mayor, Allan Mansoor; his buddy, mayor pro tem Eric Bever; the entire Costa Mesa City Council plus local "activist" Martin Millard and your humble correspondent. The following is an excerpt from that commentary that addresses Millard and me:

***
"The Blood and Guts Blog Wars Award goes to Costa Mesa scribes Geoff West and Martin Millard. West and Millard have been trading pointed adjectives for most of 2005.

In his abubblingcauldron.com blog, West is often lampooning Millard's tirades against illegal immigrants and the soon-defunct Costa Mesa Job Center in a running narrative called 'Your Neighbor.'

In it, West dismisses Millard's "improvement" mantra as a thinly veiled campaign to drive Latinos out of Costa Mesa. West often cites Millard's prolific essay writing (lengthy treatises advocating gene purity as a universal truth) for New Nation News to buttress the point.

In his electronic newsletter Millard paints a characterization of West as a 'Lonely Old Man' sitting around his rented home in his dirty Fruit-of-the-Looms with tuna cans over his ears. It's brutal stuff, but great reading."
***
As I said, Byron de Arakal hasn't missed a step.

First, to set the record straight, I have never, specifically, said that Martin Millard is my theoretical character "Your Neighbor", although I must admit that he certainly does bear an uncanny resemblance to him. I'll just leave that to the speculation of my readers.

I had to chuckle when I originally read the quote in Millard's "newsletter" mentioned by de Arakal. I do admit to being an "Old Man", but that's not necessarily bad when you consider the alternative. As far as being "Lonely" - Hah! Not likely!

The "rented home" comment made me snicker, since my lovely and patient wife and I have not written a rent check since 1971. Of course, that's just old Martin's version of accuracy.

I want to thank some of my friends and neighbors for their kind responses to de Arakal's piece. One close friend tells me that his sweet wife is busily washing out used tuna cans for me, and when finished, she will be dispatched to Costco to buy a few cases for future contributions. I was disappointed, though, that my friend didn't volunteer some of his "Fruit-of-the-Looms", too.

So, as we make our way through the remainder of this holiday season, it looks like old Martin - whose scowling countenance on the New Nation News web site very much resembles The Grinch - and I will continue to spar. From my side, as long as "Your Neighbor" continues to publish his racist venom, I'll continue to point it out. As long as he continues to attempt to infect our community with his putrid philosophy, I'll continue to comment on it. As long as he continues to pull the strings for local politicians I'll continue pull the curtain back so you can see the man manipulating the dummies.

For a little recent history, please refer to the archive below dated 12/21/05 at the link below coded 2005.12.18 - it will give you some perspective.

On that happy note, I'll close this posting by encouraging you to give those New Year's resolutions some serious contemplation. Here's an easy one for you - resolve to read this blog several times each week. You never know - you just might decide to get more involved in community activities as a result.
11:24 pm pst

No comments:

Post a Comment