Saturday 21 December 2019

Shifting Focus, Muddy Pigs and Disappearing Viewpoints - 1/8/2006


Sunday, January 8, 2006
Shifting Focus, Muddy Pigs and Disappearing Viewpoints
A couple of people whose judgment I trust recently commented to me about the literary tit-for-tat going on between a man who very much resembles my theoretical character, Your Neighbor, and your humble correspondent. Their suggestion that my energies and observations might be put to better use by not engaging this character in a blog free-for-all has caused me to pause for a little introspection. One friend reminded me of the old homily that says, "If you roll around in the mud with a pig you both get dirty, but the pig enjoys it." So, I've decided to try my best to avoid the hog wallow - at least for the time being. I reserve the right, however, to comment in the future when I feel it's appropriate.

Besides, the way the Costa Mesa City Council is going about our business these days, there will be plenty of things to write about - at least until after the next elections in November.

***

In a follow-up, the day after my last posting a potential source of "enlightenment" disappeared. The blog created by Westside activist Don Elmore is gone - poof! - into the ether. I don't know the circumstances, but the link that worked on Friday now takes you to a blank, blue page that contains only the notation that the URL is no longer valid. So, we bid a fond adieu to the writings of First Sergeant Elmore and his small cadre of supporters. We'll miss his attempts at the education of Costa Mesa residents on the illegal immigration issue so close to his heart. This is curiously similar to the way the old Concerned Costa Mesa Citizens web site folded up it's operation a few years ago shortly after then-Daily Pilot writer Lolita Harper wrote a three-part piece on it and the Orange County Human Relations Commission stuck it's unwelcome nose under the tent. I guess that's the way it goes with these folks. When they venture out into the sunlight and receive a little unanticipated attention they just slide back into the shadows, where they lurk and sulk. We hope they will decide to come out and play again soon.
5:42 pm pst

No comments:

Post a Comment